Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Create a Contraction!

Happy holidays you all!  I am so glad to be spending my time with my wonderful boyfriend and 3 dogs today.  I'm making a brisket and it's smelling mighty delicious right now.

Since I've been on break, I've had some free time to work on resources, and this one is a super-fun lesson called Create a Contraction!
Here's how it works.  Print out the large letter cards and explain to students that a contraction is two words joined together to make a smaller word.  Use student helpers to hold up the letter cards to make two words (ex. does not).
Now, here's where it gets fun.

Step One: Students on the carpet squeeze the two words together.


Step Two: I teach my students the phrase "Out pops the 'O', in comes the apostrophe!"  We say it together as our 'O' pops out.
Step Three: Our apostrophe jumps in.  Now we have a contraction!  We repeat steps 1-3 using other words for more practice.

Step Four: After we have practiced a few different contractions, I provide students with the independent practice sheet. Students cut out the letter cards and create the two words on the sheet.  Then they follow steps 1-3 to create the contraction for the two words.

To download, please click on the image below.  Your feedback is ALWAYS appreciated!  Thank you for your support and have a RELAXING vacation :)




1 comment:

  1. Super cute contraction activities! Gotta love when you can get them up and moving! How did they do with it? We REALLY struggle with reading and writing contractions.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover