Thursday, June 6, 2013

School is out & a math center FREEBIE!

"School's out for summer!  School's out forever!"
I woke up singing this Alice Cooper song today.  Not kidding.

:D
Today is day one of summer vacation for me (although I do have to go back for training next week).  I thought I'd kick off my joy for summer vacation with a math freebie that I introduced this week during my math centers.  My students enjoyed “buying” items in a race-like format and I enjoyed that the activity provided students with the opportunity to evaluate each others’ work!

Materials:
Print the mat and store cards here.
Directions:
Group students in pairs.  Student One draws a card from the deck. 


 Both students race to "buy" the item.  Students must represent the amount in two ways.  When a student has represented the amount two ways, he says "I made that amount!"
The partner checks the amount for accuracy, and the winner keeps the card.
On the left: one dime, one nickel and three pennies.
On the right: three nickels and three pennies.
Click the image below to download this freebie from my Teachers Pay Teachers store :)
I'm excited to have a little more free time to catch up with you all and visit your blogs! 
K. Almaraz


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover