Sunday, July 14, 2013

Teacher of the Week- The Tongass Teacher


Welcome back for edition ten of:

Meet The Tongass Teacher:

Teaching experience:
I was trying to think of a way to share this information with you through my own words, but there is no better way than reading the Tongass Teacher's version.  I bet many of you can relate!

"I have been teaching 2nd grade for 5 years. I student taught in 4th grade and was dead set on teaching intermediate (I had always wanted to read Where the Red Fern Grows to my students!). I graduated in May and was offered a 2nd grade position in my hometown of Juneau, Alaska. I reluctantly took the position knowing I had student loans to pay off and couldn't be sure I would be offered a position at another school. I bawled my eyes out ("They don't even know how to zip their coats! They don't know how to get in a circle! They pick their noses!" Wah wah wah!) and just knew that once a 4th grade position opened up I would transfer. Well, that was 5 years ago and although there have been plenty of opportunities, my heart belongs to 2nd grade!"


Favorite Teaching Moment:
"I love 2nd grade. With that being said, there are some gross parts of teaching we don't usually talk about. Getting puked on, sneezed on, farted on (yes!)...these are the parts of our profession that we don't typically blog about. But, when I think about my five years in the classroom, I recall the "Poop Bandit." One year, I had a student who had a habit of defiling books. He had a Shawshank Redemption method of disposing, lets call it, "evidence," via his pant bottoms and hiding the "evidence" in the books. Turns out, it is much easier to throw a book away than to clean it! Anyone else out there have these kinds of problems or am I alone?"

Ah, yes Tongass Teacher.  As a first grade teacher, these are the teaching moments I like to try to forget.  In time I've learned to just laugh it off.


Visit The Tongass Teacher:
Who by the way is having a GIVEAWAY on her blog at the moment!

Blog:

Facebook:




To be featured as Teacher of the Week:
Each Sunday I will feature a new teacher of the week on my blog and Facebook page. To be considered as my Teacher of the Week, simply click on the Teacher of the Week button below and answer a couple of questions. It's easy as pie!

K. Almaraz

Psst...if you're still here, get ready for a blog post (tomorrow) about my brand new resource:

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am enjoying reading your blog! I am your newest follower and I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! Come on over and pick it up!

    Beth :)
    A Kindergarten Life For Me

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover