Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Progress Monitoring CAN be fun.

Hello there!

I've been enjoying summer too much that I've neglected all thoughts about returning to work.  Lately, my dear teacher friends have been posting about their back to school shopping extravaganzas or classroom decor ideas and it gave me the itch to start thinking and preparing for next school year.

Today, I am going to share with you how I have proven to my students that progress monitoring can be a great way to set and work towards fluency goals (in an early childhood friendly way, of course).

Hence, the Fluency Tree.

I found woodgrain wrapping paper at the Dollar Spot @ Target last year, which gave me the idea for the Fluency Tree.  In the beginning of the school year, I explain to my students that the Fluency Tree serves as a reminder of how important reading will be throughout the year.  All of the apples start at the base of the tree and move up based on fluency.  Then, I give each student their own Reading Fluency Portfolio.  I conference with each student individually and we set a reading fluency goal for the quarter.  At the end of the quarter, students reflect on their goals and set a new goal for the following quarter.


After progress monitoring each month, my students graph their progress in their Fluency Portfolio and if there has been progress toward his or her goal, the student can move his apple up on the tree.  

You could also create a fluency tree without the number goals (ex. 10, 20, 30) on the tree and just student name (or student number) with his or her current fluency level.  Then, instead of moving the apples, students can erase their fluency number and write the new fluency number with a dry erase marker.

At the end of the school year, it is so neat to see my students reflect on their entire progress throughout the year.  The Fluency Portfolios have also been a great source to use during parent conferences.

I'm planning on putting my portfolio's together this week in preparation for my school year.  I go back in 3 weeks, eek!  If you're interested in seeing more views of my Fluency Portfolio, click on any of the images and you'll be directed to my TpT store where you can find the Fluency Portfolio for 25% off for the next few days :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover